Coronavirus Update: We care about your health and continue to service our customers safely. Read More

Skip navigation

Serving Albuquerque, NM

505-859-4329

Serving Albuquerque, NM and Surrounding Areas
24 Hour Emergency Service

Menu

First Rate Plumbing Heating and Cooling Inc Blog

CO Safety: Preparing for Winter Weather and Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

shot of a carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is nothing to scoff at. This odorless, invisible gas can be devastating for families and their quality of life. Not only is it important to call for help when you think you’re being affected by carbon monoxide, but it’s invaluable to prepare for this type of problem with detectors installed correctly.

We’re proponents of furnaces in Albuquerque, NM. These systems can be some of the most affordable and efficient ways to keep your home heated during the winter. However, when these systems start to break down, they can sometimes lead to carbon monoxide leaks that can be awful to deal with. From furnaces to gas ovens and our own automobiles, carbon monoxide is everywhere and it’s important that we learn about it before we need to deal with it.

Let’s talk about ways we can improve the safety and security of your home by preparing for carbon monoxide leaks.

Where Does It Come From?

Carbon monoxide is the product of combustion, whether it’s from a car’s engine or your natural gas-powered furnace. When we burn fuel like gasoline or natural gas, it produces heat or energy that we then use to power our appliances. However, carbon monoxide is created as exhaust—which means a material that needs to be vented. Carbon monoxide is useless in any of our indoor processes and it can be harmful to us physically, which is why we need to do everything we can do vent it away from our homes.

Here are just a few tips to limit the source of carbon monoxide in your home:

  • Never heat your home with a gas or oven range.
  • Avoid running your car inside the garage, even with the door opened.
  • Have your furnace maintained to ensure the heat exchanger isn’t cracked and leaking carbon monoxide.
  • Remove flammable items from around your furnace.
  • Don’t burn foil, garbage, glossy magazines, painted wood, or plastic in your fireplace or furnace.
  • Keep people and pets away from fires so they don’t burn themselves or damage equipment.

Each of these points represents a source of carbon monoxide that can be halted at the source. Make sure you keep your home safe by following the tips we laid out above and calling for help when you need it.

Don’t Forget About CO Detectors

Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed outside of bedrooms on every floor of your home. There really isn’t an exception to this rule. This type of detector placement allows you to remain safe and secure while you sleep at night. Having detectors on every floor of your home also ensures that they’re spread out enough to detect even minor occurrences of carbon monoxide. By using this type of detection, you’ll be able to catch this kind of problem quickly and before it does any harm to you and your family.

Stay Safe

Pay attention to your personal health. If you start feeling headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea, or fatigue, you could be succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning. Don’t hesitate or try to sleep off that kind of feeling—turn off your gas-burning appliances and call for help.

The team at First Rate Plumbing Heating and Cooling Inc has your back. Call today! Our promise—quality work, exuberant service.

Comments are closed.

Join Our Mailing List: